New Year, New Projects


With Christmas and all the family festivities and then my being away – fortunately in the sun – I am afraid a blog hasn’t been written recently; however being away from the computer (at least some of the time and the Wi-Fi wasn’t too dependable) I was able to revisit some of the things that happened last year and to plan detail for the next few months.

Last year my excitement with coloured canvas, lacy stitches to make full use of both elements and shadow stitching showing a painted design grew.  On the trip I managed to finish ‘Basket Weavers of Road Town’   I have mentioned this piece before, inspired by a painting by Jill Tattersall who went out to Tortola in the BVIs in the 60s with her family;  some years later she painted a series recalling the early days.

In Tuscany the group project was the house logo, a pair of pheasants under an olive tree worked with silks and metallic and in Calabria where everyone is able to choose their design I worked a flight of Butterflies.  This painted canvas –shown here – is most versatile allowing freedom of shading and total coverage or shadow stitching to allow the painted detail to show through; it can be supplied painted canvas only so everyone can decide for themselves.   This painted canvas can now be supplied, shadow stitching and border diagram will be available soon.

The classes here in London were well attended and students chose to work on my new designs (see web site particularly Tudor and Cathedral Tiles) or an exciting array of custom designs, chairs - a lovely small child’s chair, wall panels, fire screens and stools. As always I always have a good finisher in mind before agreeing to even start a project.

The sad news is a number of good friends have died; some of my favourite needlepoint friends have lost their partners and John Tovey who many of you will remember from our annual trips to his boutique hotel on Lake Windermere has died in South Africa. We managed to clock up more than 20 visits to the Miller Howe, John frequently stitched with us and regaled us with many amusing stories. More recently he moved to Cape Town and I visited him twice; visiting restaurants with a pro was an eye opener! John was generous with culinary information and loved by all my ‘girls’ – a one-off who will be missed greatly.

But on our recent trip I also had time – in between swimming and stitching – to plan designs, classes and trips for this year.  Two promises I made to myself – firstly to blog more regularly, aiming for one post a month (fingers crossed I keep to it!)) And second to design projects that can be worked in a number of techniques suited to both the stitcher and the end use they wish for; in many cases their own stash of threads can be used up.

A new idea I am working on at the moment but while I shall be able to fill you in on detail soon the idea is to have a regular ‘offer of the month’, it may be a kit or equipment at a special price
The offer of the month will be available through all of my social media outlets, it may be a kit (Digital or Hard copy) Useful accessories (scissors, frames, laying tools) always accompanied by various tips & tricks of needlepoint.

Now all I have to do is fine plan both this new idea, I should so much like to hear from you with comments or ideas as to how you would like to see it working – do let me know of any suggestions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needlepoint, your passport to a Magic Carpet

Stitching in Italy

March Blog